American Betiya by Anuradha D. Rajurkar


Recently I had the opportunity to recieve and E-Arc of American Betiyan for my honest review. Huge thanks to Hear Our Voices Book Tours and Netgalley for providing me that.

You can check out the book here

As for the book, lessgo

P L O T : Rani Kelkar has never lied to her parents, until she meets Oliver. The same qualities that draw her in--his tattoos, his charisma, his passion for art--make him her mother's worst nightmare. 

They begin dating in secret, but when Oliver's troubled home life unravels, he starts to ask more of Rani than she knows how to give, desperately trying to fit into her world, no matter how high the cost. When a twist of fate leads Rani from Evanston, Illinois to Pune, India for a summer, she has a reckoning with herself--and what's really brewing beneath the surface of her first love. 

Why you should read it ?

The Desi Contemporary Book we were craving for
It's very uncommon to find desi books these days and here to fill our hearts finalllyyyyyy.


The Seamless Weaving of Words
The book is not short, but it didn't took me too long to finish it, you may ask me why? The writing was seamless, it just flowed and kept me going. 

The Traditions and Customs described so well
The description of festivals and cultures was done so well it couldn't be better. I really liked how there was points and notes about the starting of that festival and it's importance. 


The Friendship that had me crying
We all know I've a soft spot for good Friendships, and yes we have it. Flawed the people are, but their friendship is gold. 


The Environment of a Desi Household
Being a Desi myself I could relate to all the things going around in Rani's home. The dating ban, not staying out late ban, focus on your studies first etc etc. It was refreshing to read about it to be honest.

The Racism and Hate for being ourselves 
Racism is nothing new for Asians who are living outside their country, but the way Anuradha described it made chills run down my spine. And if you've read the book YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. anyway.

The Strong Bond between Grandparents and Grandchild
In Indian Households we're often taught about respecting your elders and especially your grandparents, love them and take care of them. And this book had some beautiful moments that made my heart flutter. I wish there were more though.....but let's not complain about it.


The Journey of Self Discovery and A Search for finding yourself
The book was a journey, a journey of Rani, from being not sure about her future, herself and what she wanted in life to finding what she actually wants and prioritising it. Loved it!


Favourite Quotes : 

• I know I gotta grow Gotta show him all he can be, All the gold that gleams inside of him Despite history. Too loud to stay quiet Too bright to stay dim Too vast to hold in .

• It’s about whether you’ve created something that embodies your beliefs, your values, your message.

• Forest nymphs, gargoyles, demons, and pixies dance within their thickly textured landscapes, each a layered story. Stories I could lose myself in.

• The truth is, the stories are an integral part of my culture that makes talking about them like this feel . . . reductive. 

• people make poor choices when they are not challenged

I loved the book, highly recommended!

Current Reads

Shreya ◠◡◠'s bookshelf: 2021-favourites

The Love Hypothesis
it was amazing
If you told 18-year-old Shreya that "You're going to love a rom-com and you'd be grinning ear to ear while reading it, and most importantly, you'll fall in love with the male lead instead of the female. " I would've never bel...
Vespertine
really liked it
Sounds like Sabriel meets Kingdom of the Wicked, sign me up "Our flesh may be weak, but our hearts are as iron" RIGHT, WHERE TO START?! This was my first book by Margaret Rogerson, I've heard alot about Sorcery of Thorns & Enchantm...
Tokyo Ever After
really liked it
Read full review on my blog FIRST Y'all guys I was not ready tbh. I laughed and I cried, I was happy and I felt enraged. Emiko did such a stunning job in layering it all together in just 400 pages. The story is about Izumi, who finds ou...

goodreads.com

Popular Posts

Have A Message? Drop Here

Name

Email *

Message *