A talk with Author of "Hall of Smoke"

Hey Reader, recently I got an amazing opportunity to talk to H.M. Long author of recently released Viking Inspired Fantasy Book "Hall of Smoke" 


If you want to read more about the book, you can go here

Lets head into the interview shall we?

1. What inspired you to write Viking-themed fantasy?

If I'm completely honest, it didn't start out as Viking! I originally wanted a setting of the Romans fighting Germanic tribes, but as the book developed and I began to pitch it, it began to be associated with popular conceptions of Vikings. That was fine with me! I enjoy Norse history and mythology, and everything merged together well. 

2. Who is your favourite character from Hall of Smoke?

I really love Ogam! He was the character that came to me the most clearly, and he brings some much-needed lightness to some dark circumstances. 

3. How did you come up with the names of gods and goddesses?

I took keywords from various ancient languages and squished them together until they made sounds I liked. It felt more professional than it sounds!


4. My favourite character is Hessa, what was your experience when you were writing about her?

I'm glad to hear Hessa is your favourite! She was quite a tricky character to write. I wanted a female main character that was both brave and vulnerable, capable but still flawed, who both carried axes and cuddled babies. On top of that, I needed a character who could successfully wrestle through huge theological questions. It took many drafts and a lot of consideration, but I love who she turned out to be!

5. Do you have any fantasy book recs for the readers?

I recently loved KINGS OF THE WYLD by Nicolas Eames, FABLE by Adrienne Young, and THE WITCH'S HEART by Genevieve Gornichec! But my all-time favourite fantasy read is SABRIEL by Garth Nix

If you want to check out Hannah's Rec :

• Sabriel
• Fable

6. What is your current favourite song?

I've had "My Mother's Savage Daughter" stuck in my head for days, and I don't mind in the slightest. 


7. If you could choose three people to invite for a dinner who would it be and why?

I'd love to invite some of my new author friends over for dinner! One of the best parts of the debut experience has been connecting with these other authors, but everything's online and we're worlds apart. So... some day?

8. Do you have any new series planned?

I currently have a Gaslamp fantasy trilogy in the works, along with a standalone maritime fantasy with dark folktale vibes. I've also got a few more books in the HALL OF SMOKE world in the wings, but we'll see if those take off!

9. Where can the readers get your new book from? 

HALL OF SMOKE is available wherever are sold! Amazon and Bookdepository are always a safe bet. 


10. For our final question, how would you describe "Hall of Smoke" in three words? 

Are they human?

A huge thanks to Hannah for doing this interview with me, it was such an honor.


Keep an eye for her upcoming books by subscribing to her newsletter here
Thank you for reading :)

Current Reads

Shreya ◠◡◠'s bookshelf: 2021-favourites

The Love Hypothesis
it was amazing
If you told 18-year-old Shreya that "You're going to love a rom-com and you'd be grinning ear to ear while reading it, and most importantly, you'll fall in love with the male lead instead of the female. " I would've never bel...
Vespertine
really liked it
Sounds like Sabriel meets Kingdom of the Wicked, sign me up "Our flesh may be weak, but our hearts are as iron" RIGHT, WHERE TO START?! This was my first book by Margaret Rogerson, I've heard alot about Sorcery of Thorns & Enchantm...
Tokyo Ever After
really liked it
Read full review on my blog FIRST Y'all guys I was not ready tbh. I laughed and I cried, I was happy and I felt enraged. Emiko did such a stunning job in layering it all together in just 400 pages. The story is about Izumi, who finds ou...

goodreads.com

Popular Posts

Have A Message? Drop Here

Name

Email *

Message *