Swan Song of my Era Review






Swan Song of my Era is a book about two girls in love who desperately try to change the rigid, white beauty preferred stereotypes. Spes Zrey, a designing student, known for being arrogant and unbiased towards her dream meets Hope Vale, an aspiring vitiligo make-up artist to eradicate the harmful standards of the Asian beauty industry.

All the opinions are mine, the pictures used for the mood board belong to their respective owner and were taken from Pinterest/google. 

Talking about why you should read it?

1. A Diverse Rep


"There is something explicity satisfying about people who observe you for just who you are."

One of the things I absolutely loved about the story is its representation. There are LGBTQIA+, disability, and vitiligo representation, it's very uncommon to see them together in a single story. And how can I not mention the fact that it's normalized. The experiences faced by these characters are what we see in our lives daily, no sugar coating, just the truth. I can never insist enough on how much this is important. 



2. A beautiful depiction of platonic bonds & friendship


"Struggle isn't worthy being a story until the outcome results in success."

We always see friends and families (found families in some cases) in every book, but Elsie managed to create a realistic world with a lot of characters I'll cry for not having in my real life. No, they're not perfect, they fight, they misunderstand, they've their ambitions and are very selfish for it, but that's what makes them believable. I can see myself in their actions, their thoughts, it makes me feel like I'm the part of the story, not directly but definitely.  



3. A different perspective on things and people


"I am going to be more than the chaos around me."

Reading the book made me realize that there can always be a different take in every given situation. If someone is appreciating you, it's not necessary that it's from goodwill. It can be sarcastic, they can be making fun of your achievement, it can be hypocrisy. The different dimensions of conversations were so surprising yet they felt real at the same time. We often tend to ignore the possibility of another side of the conversation, since it might be harmful to us and our dreams but it doesn't certainly deny its whole existence.  




4. Swoon-worthy romance 


"Everyone's individuality is designed to be extraordinary."

Okay, now talking about Hope and Spes, these two have my heart. Every damn time I think I'll never fall in love with another character, the author drops a swoon-worthy power couple. Hope Vale, optimistic, and ambitious make-up artist, ready to change the white beauty standards in the Asian industry. Spes Zrey, an ambitious, Hugo-boss awardee, is known to be arrogant and selfish for her dreams. Polar opposites, and completing each other. They never knew they needed each other, but once they met, it all made sense. I can never get enough of these two.




5. Spes Zrey!


"You are Hope Vale, you will always look regally stunning to me."


I won't be lying if I say that I'll be on my knees for Spes Zrey. A strong, powerful woman who knows how to fight for what's hers. No compromises, and adjustments for her goals, she'll take it with all her might. If it is her right, no one would be able to stop her. She's a bit too hard on herself, no excuses even if it's for herself. She knows how to respect boundaries and personal space. A queen who will love fiercely and with her whole heart. Huge respect. Hands down my favorite character. 

Okay, I definitely have one problem with the book, how am I supposed to survive knowing Spes Zrey but also knowing that she will actually be never in my life. 





If you ever wanna talk about books with me, I'm dropping links to my socials below. 


Are you planning to read it? Let me know. 

Current Reads

Shreya ◠◡◠'s bookshelf: 2021-favourites

The Love Hypothesis
it was amazing
If you told 18-year-old Shreya that "You're going to love a rom-com and you'd be grinning ear to ear while reading it, and most importantly, you'll fall in love with the male lead instead of the female. " I would've never bel...
Vespertine
really liked it
Sounds like Sabriel meets Kingdom of the Wicked, sign me up "Our flesh may be weak, but our hearts are as iron" RIGHT, WHERE TO START?! This was my first book by Margaret Rogerson, I've heard alot about Sorcery of Thorns & Enchantm...
Tokyo Ever After
really liked it
Read full review on my blog FIRST Y'all guys I was not ready tbh. I laughed and I cried, I was happy and I felt enraged. Emiko did such a stunning job in layering it all together in just 400 pages. The story is about Izumi, who finds ou...

goodreads.com

Popular Posts

Have A Message? Drop Here

Name

Email *

Message *