Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry by Joya Goffney Book Review



Hi reader, thank you for dropping in, today we're here together to get my views on Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry, which is an #ownvoices contemporary YA romance by debut author Joya Goffney. A huge thanks to HarperCollins India for providing me with the review copy. Image source of moodboard: Pinterest/Google.

Plot

The story is about a girl, Quinn Jackson, black, vegetarian, and an avid to-do list maker. It's all good until one day the journal is lost and the thief starts blackmailing her with the lists. Some so many suspects who might've stolen the journal.

She unwillingly teams with Carter, a fellow classmate, but also one of the suspects.

Will she find her journal or is it lost forever in the hands of someone who can destroy her whole life? 

Review: 

Okay, y'all let me tell you why you should read this book?

1. A Diverse #ownvoices book:


Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry is a book with the story revolving around Quinn, who is black but has never had black friends. She questions her blackness and herself in situations surrounding her identity. After becoming friends with Carter and Olivia in very unexpected circumstances, she gets to explore parts of herself she never knew existed, which eventually leads her to embrace herself as she is. 

"I feel like you see parts of me that I never knew existed."

2. Fun and Engaging:


We all know it can take time to get into a book at first, but y'all, I read 20 pages and I was hooked. I couldn't stop, and the writing style is so hilarious and engaging. Some moments catch you off-guard, and you burst out laughing. Extra points for making my stone-cold personality laugh. 
"But we all know that none of our homes are perfect. And there's an understanding between us."

3. Talks about some serious stuff and topics:


Even though the book is funny and entertaining at certain points, it does not stop the mention and talks about some serious stuff and topics. Racism, slut-shaming, blackmail, cyberbullying were all talked about. The discrimination faced by minorities at the hands of majorities is still happening even though we claim to be developing. The book talks deeply about it, thought-provoking #ownvoices contemporary YA romance. 

"There are enough closed doors and glass ceilings in the world. My comfort soon shouldn't  be one of them."

4. Importance of good friendship & relationships:


Joya shows us the significance of good friendships and how they can affect us as a person. It can change the way we think, the way we see the world, and even the way we perceive the outer world. Quinn was doubtful about herself as a person, but after meeting certain people, she started glowing, because of the confidence she gained, because of how her friends helped her see the positives, instead of the negatives. We see how good friends can change your life for good and how important they are. 

"I hold threats in my eyes. Today is not the day to try me."

5. Olivia Thomas:


My book reviews are never complete without me simping for a character who is not the main lead. Yes, as you've already guessed, it's Olivia Thomas, the biggest badass, head photographer with tattoos, piercings, and a never-giving-up attitude. A mixed girl who is proud of herself and what she is. She encouraged her friends to not give up, and get back what is theirs no matter what it takes. A positive viewpoint, belief in her dreams and talent, and a fierce spirit, make Olivia my favorite character without a doubt. 

"I'm with the biggest badass at Hayworth, the girl who's actually beaten boys' asses. I'm ready." 


If you ever wanna talk about books, I'm dropping links to my socials below:


How do you feel about this book? 


Current Reads

Shreya ◠◡◠'s bookshelf: 2021-favourites

The Love Hypothesis
it was amazing
If you told 18-year-old Shreya that "You're going to love a rom-com and you'd be grinning ear to ear while reading it, and most importantly, you'll fall in love with the male lead instead of the female. " I would've never bel...
Vespertine
really liked it
Sounds like Sabriel meets Kingdom of the Wicked, sign me up "Our flesh may be weak, but our hearts are as iron" RIGHT, WHERE TO START?! This was my first book by Margaret Rogerson, I've heard alot about Sorcery of Thorns & Enchantm...
Tokyo Ever After
really liked it
Read full review on my blog FIRST Y'all guys I was not ready tbh. I laughed and I cried, I was happy and I felt enraged. Emiko did such a stunning job in layering it all together in just 400 pages. The story is about Izumi, who finds ou...

goodreads.com

Popular Posts

Have A Message? Drop Here

Name

Email *

Message *